A little rabbit told us that you may have received more Easter eggs than you’d ever hoped for. Before you hide your leftover chocolate away at the back of the kitchen cupboard, try transforming it into tasty new treats from hot chocolate bombs to no-bake buns. Plug in your electric mixers, it’s time to bake!
Grab your aprons, you are going to need them! This quick and fun recipe is the perfect way to use up any leftover Easter eggs, sweets, nuts and more. Gather your ingredients in one place and follow the four simple steps to Rocky Road deliciousness. Don’t forget to swap out the ingredients in this recipe for your own fillings.
Indulgent chocolate spread
This quick and easy chocolate spread will be a firm favourite for kids and adults alike. Just like a normal spread, you can layer it on warm toast, drizzle it on top of fruit slices or eat it straight from the jar – we’ve all done it!
- Cut a leftover Easter Egg (around 100g) into small chunks and place in a mixing bowl.
- Warm your chocolate chunks with 25g of butter, a pinch of sea salt and 100ml of double cream over a bain-marie until silky smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a large jar or container and leave overnight to cool.
- You can store your chocolate spread in the fridge for up to a month. To ease spreading, remove from the fridge before use.
Host a bake off challenge at home
Challenge your friends and family to a virtual bake off and use up your leftover chocolate in the process. Send out invites, create challenges and assign a judge from every household to mark your efforts in secret. Here are a few tips to get you started…
- Send out online invitations for your virtual bake off and let your friends know how you’ll be hosting it so they can get ready in advance.
- Compile a list of ingredients and utensils that your friends should buy before the big day.
- Plan a ‘bake what you see’ challenge and award the baker with the best creation.
- Download party packs from the Great British Bake Off website for recipe inspiration.
- Keep it simple and have fun!
Hot Chocolate Bombs
If you’ve spent any time online in the last 6 months, you will be familiar with the hot chocolate bomb craze that’s taking the nation by storm. While most people buy their hot chocolate bombs online or in their local supermarket, you can recreate them at home using leftover Easter eggs. To enjoy a delicious family treat at a fraction of the price, follow the steps below.
- Place one small Easter egg into your mug of choice.
- Heat up semi-skimmed milk in the microwave for around 40 secs – ask an adult to help with this part.
- Pour the warm milk over your Easter egg and watch as it melts.
- Stir the hot chocolate until silky smooth.
- Enjoy every second!
What are you waiting for? Choose your treat of choice and get baking! Remember to be extra careful when using electrical appliances in the company of young children.
Don’t forget to share your chocolatey creations with us